Hexadecimal Zeroes-Allowed Kakuro
Smythe DakotaPosted: Sat Aug 1 2020 11:28 am

Here's an idea for a new type of game:  Hexadecimal Zeroes-Allowed Kakuro.  Each digit, instead of being limited to 1-9, could be any of 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-A-B-C-D-E-F, which would represent the values 0 through 15 respectively.  "Words" (or "runs") could then be as long as 16 digits, instead of being limited to 9.

To make it really "look" hexadecimal, the sums should also be displayed in hexadecimal, e.g. 1E instead of 30.

Bill Smythe

AdminPosted: Mon Aug 3 2020 04:05 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote :

Here's an idea for a new type of game:  Hexadecimal Zeroes-Allowed Kakuro.  Each digit, instead of being limited to 1-9, could be any of 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-A-B-C-D-E-F, which would represent the values 0 through 15 respectively.  "Words" (or "runs") could then be as long as 16 digits, instead of being limited to 9.

To make it really "look" hexadecimal, the sums should also be displayed in hexadecimal, e.g. 1E instead of 30.

Bill Smythe

That's an interesting idea, when you mentioned it I remembered finding a site that let you play kakuros like that: http://www.menneske.no/kakuro/13x13x16/eng .It doesn't have the hexadecimal, though.

I haven't tried solving one yet, but I get the sense that the puzzles become less interesting to solve as you allow more numbers.