-44 minutes?
alisonmpagePosted: Sun Nov 3 2019 01:12 am

It took me just over 15 mins to do the puzzle today. It says -44. Not complaining! Some kind of timey-wimey thing I guess.

drhelenwPosted: Sun Nov 3 2019 03:02 am

I always check to see how long it's taken you as a rough guide to how long it will take me!  Can I gain 45 minutes today!  I wonder if it is because different countries change from summer time to winter time on different dates?

nasudddPosted: Sun Nov 3 2019 07:16 am

Congratulation!!

stevenstatPosted: Sun Nov 3 2019 10:45 am

The US changed to standard time at 2am this morning. Your post is from 1:12am. So clearly you started a little before 2am, and you finished a little after 1am. I guess the code needs an extra line: if the time is negative, add an hour.

Last Edited: Sun Nov 3 2019 10:45 am
AdminPosted: Sun Nov 3 2019 07:20 pm

Congratulations on the incredibly good time! Sadly, it was a result of a bug. I really should change the code so that it doesn't break like this when Daylight Savings Time goes into effect. I fixed the time to what it should be.

alisonmpagePosted: Mon Nov 4 2019 12:09 am

Thanks for the explanation. Yeah I am in UK. I picked the one hour a year that this could happen I guess :-)

matjazPosted: Mon Nov 4 2019 05:10 am

@Admin, could this happen in the other direction as well (an extra hour added to one's result) or did you fix that too?

@stevenstat: Your line "if the time is negative, add an hour" would not work in general. A very sneaky person could time their kakuro solving so that they complete it in, say 1 hour and 30 seconds, and their official time would be 30 seconds. The hour would not be subtracted.